Since the old Hospital de Sant Pau opened in 1916 and until healthcare activity was transferred to the new centre in 2009, the Art Nouveau Site underwent all kinds of vicissitudes. One of the most turbulent periods of the Modernista hospital were the years of the Civil War, when it was confiscated by the government and its name was changed to General Hospital of Catalonia.
The intense healthcare activity at that time, necessitated by the various fronts of the war but also by the bombing of Barcelona, meant that the installations quickly became saturated, and the gardens ceased to be a place of peace and tranquillity.
This was how the need arose to create a garden where convalescents could rest. It was one of the first decisions taken by the Hospital’s Board of Directors, though it did not materialize until months later, when the disagreement about who should pay for the creation of the garden was resolved.
The creation of this garden, where it was situated and what happened to it afterwards are the theme of this new article in the blog De Santa Creu a Sant Pau. We will allow ourselves a little spoiler: it wasn’t just patients and healthcare staff who used it; it also provided grazing for sheep…